How to play bingo – Bingo rules step by step
Bingo is a classic gambling game played in private facilities, during church events and charities, in villages, in squares and now by many on the web. Both young and old can enjoy bingo. If you have never had time to learn how to play bingo, or the only thing you know about bingo is that there is a song with a dog called bingo, we have highlighted everything you need to know to play in a casino, in a hall, with your friends or online.
How to play bingo – before the game begins
When playing online, the cards will be randomly selected for you by the casino software, but if you are not satisfied with the cards you are dealt, you may choose to receive new cards with different numbers. When playing online you can also change the settings when it comes to colors and whether you want to tag yourself or have it done automatically.
The action of the game takes place on the bingo card. Bingo cards generally cost everyone the same, and players can buy multiple bingo cards, also called bingo cards, which will have all numbers 1-75 between them. The 75-ball bingo cards, the main variant of bingo played in the United States and Canada, show a 5×5 grid with the word “BINGO” printed at the top of the card. The grid will have the numbers ranked from 1 to 75 marked without being in order. For easier location, all numbers between 1 and 15 are under the B column, 16 to 30 under I, 31 to 45 under N, 46 to 60 under G, and 61 to 75 under O. There is also an empty box in middle. In a live hall, a player will call out “bingo” when he / she has crossed the numbers in the patterns, while the online casino software will automatically detect your winnings.
How to play bingo – gameplay
Bingo is a relatively easy game to learn and play. The numbers are called out or randomly drawn until a player can cross a line or pattern as quickly as possible as they are called out, or as they appear on the screen when playing online. This pattern may be vertical, horizontal, diagonal or it may be a predetermined shape or pattern. The most popular bingo patterns are described further down the page.
- Buy bingo cards. If you want to start quietly you only buy one or two cards, but if you want to make the game more enjoyable and have a chance to win the patterns spanning all the cards, you buy more cards.
- The game officially starts when the first number is called out. A bingo announcer will periodically call out numbers that he gets by subtracting numbered balls from a container. When playing online, the number of the ball will be displayed on the screen.
- When a number is called out, players mark this number on the card (s) if they have that specific number on any of them. Players often use a marker to mark their cards. When you play online you can choose to cross yourself, or you can choose to have this done automatically by the casino software. If you have several cards and you choose to tick yourself, remember to be quick, as the next number can be called out before you find the previous one!
- As the numbers are called out, keep an eye on whether you have a complete line or pattern.
- When a player has marked five announced numbers in a row vertically, horizontally or diagonally, he or she calls out the word “bingo”! Whoever does this first wins. When you play online, the casino software will automatically register your winnings.
- When you see that you have a winning pattern, you have to shout out loud. If you are not clear in your announcement that you have a winning line or winning pattern and they have already drawn the next number, your bingo will no longer be valid. Make sure the game is stopped at the right time to avoid this disappointment.
- If you call out ‘bingo’ in a live casino / hall, someone will come over to you and check your card to make sure you have a line or the correct pattern and that you have crossed out the correct numbers.
- When someone calls bingo at the same time as you, the money winnings will be shared with so many players who have a winning combination at the same time as you.
Each bingo room may have some differences in the rules as there are several different variants, so make sure you read up on the specific casino rules.
How to Play Bingo Game Variants
There are various bingo versions that you will find in online casinos if you want to vary it a bit. You will find 90-ball, 80-ball and 30-ball bingo games. In particular, 90-ball acts as the European / Australian equivalent of 75-ball bingo in the United States when it comes to popularity and widespread use.
90 Ball Bingo: This variant is widely played in Europe and Australia. The bingo card has 9 columns and 3 rows, with numbers ranging from 1-90.
80 Ball Bingo: Popular in online casinos. The bingo card in this variant has a 4×4 grid with numbers ranging from 1-80.
30-Ball Bingo : Also known as ‘speed bingo’. This variant is played on a small 3×3 bingo card. As it is so small and easy to play, you can only win the ‘blackout’ pattern, that is, if all the numbers in the squares are crossed out.
How to play bingo – pattern variations
Bingo games can give extra rewards when you manage to cross different number patterns, such as ‘X’ formation, all the corners, or ‘blackout’ where the whole card is crossed. If applicable, the announcer will continue to announce numbers until the player achieves additional patterns. Multiple patterns may be available as a winning pattern in one round, which means there may be more winners on the different patterns, or you can win big by getting different winning patterns on your cards. When there are winning patterns you should check with the casino if the pattern is a ‘hard way’, that is if the empty square in the middle of the grid on your bingo card will not be able to be used for the pattern so that it becomes more difficult for you, but also so that the game gets a little more exciting.
Below you will find a description of the most popular patterns you will find in online bingo casinos:
Lines: Lines. The most popular bingo pattern in all bingo variants is winning the line – horizontally, vertically or diagonally. In 75-ball bingo, these five numbers become horizontal, vertical or diagonal.
Blackout Bingo: You need to mark every single slot on your card to get blackout bingo. This is the most common pattern you will find in 30-ball bingo as the card is only on 3×3 squares. If you manage to achieve this in 75-ball or 90-ball, you can win a great prize, but it is much more difficult to achieve. This type of bingo is also more common with online bingo games that have a progressive jackpot.
T: The pattern, as the name shows, is shaped like a large T with numbers marked down the middle row and also along the top row, or upside down with the bottom row marked instead of the top one. It can also be called a ‘crazy T’, which means you can win if the letter T appears on the card right side up, up, down, or even sideways with the numbers along the middle row labeled and either down the right or left side column.
U: This bingo involves crossing the squares around three connected sides of the bingo card to form a ‘U’ when the left and right sides as well as the bottom row are marked. You can also win if it is turned sideways in the form of a ‘C’ with the numbers marked on the bottom row, left side and top row. It also works the reverse with the right side and both the bottom and top rows marked. You can also win a U upside down when the top row and both the left and right sides are highlighted.
Square Bingo: You must mark the numbers along all four sides of the card to form a square.
Diamond: There are two potential diamond shapes, the small and large diamond. The small diamond is a small shape created when the squares above, below, to the right and left of the shiny square in the center of the card are marked. The large diamond has its tips in the middle pane at the top, bottom and left and right sides.
Broken Picture Frame: This is a very fun pattern to play. In summary, there is a square with some routes left unmarked. You need to mark all the boxes in the corners and in the middle along the top row, bottom row, left and right, leaving the rest unmarked.
American Flag: This is great for the bingo game July 4th! You get the flag when the top three rows are highlighted, while you get the flag pole by marking the two bottom squares in the column under ‘B’ or the last column ‘O’.
There are many, many more patterns you can find when playing bingo online. The casinos are getting more and more creative with each passing day, so you will never get bored. The more you play, the more favorites you can get.
Play online bingo today!
There is nothing stopping you from playing bingo at this very moment with such simple rules and so many fun patterns – you can play for hours. If you want to increase your odds of winning patterns, read our strategy page for all the best tips. You can also learn the terminology used by the most experienced bingo players on our bingo concepts page.
If you want to start playing immediately, click on the best online bingo casinos that you find in our leaderboard. Our team recommends Maria Bingo as one of the best bingo rooms on the web. You don’t even have to do anything if you choose automatic selection – just sign up, pay for as many cards as you want within the casino limit, click ‘auto-daub’, and just sit back and observe while you win on multiple cards!